Christmas Lights

Village News

Articles

1791 | About one mile East of the copper-works is the village of Angarrack | The Universal British Directory, Camborne

About one mile East of the copper-works is the village of Angarrack, and seat of William Tremayne, Gent. who is a proprietor of the smelting-houses in that place, where they smelt great quantities of black tin, and refine it into white. The same village is also the residence of Matthew Tremayne, Gent. (F.) About one mile to the South of Angarrack is Nanpuscah, the residence of Francis Thomas, Gent. (F.) The Rev. William Hocking is rector both of Phillack and Gwithian.

via The Universal British Directory, Camborne


 read more »

1817 | Angarrack ... where there is a tin smelting house | The gazetteer of the county of Cornwall

Angarrack a village in the parish of Phjllack Hayle where there is a tin smelting house


via The gazetteer of the county of Cornwall
Printed and published by and for John Heard, 1817 - Cornwall (England : County) - 210 pages

1880 | There is a report current that the smelting-works at Angarrack will shortly cease operations, but all hope that it is a r


"There is a report current that the smelting-works at Angarrack will shortly cease operations, but all hope that it is a rumour.”
(27 February 1880 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)

1725 | Reverberatory furnaces: Chyandour has 4, Ludgvan 2, Treloweth 3, Lelant 3 and six at Angarrack | Kalmeter journal

The Chyandour smelter with its four stacks, one for each furnace (photo courtesy of Morrab Library Photo Archive)

By 1725 the picture has changed dramatically and the details are provided by Henric Kalmeter in his journal. Chyandour now has four reverberatory furnaces having been converted from a blowing houses in 1717. Ludgvan has has two reverberatory furnaces opened in 1724 to replace the old blowing house. Treloweth, at Rose an Grous, has three reverberatory furnaces erected in 1720 and lastly, Trereife has four reverberatory furnaces dating from about 1716. In addition there are now three furnaces at Lelant and six at Angarrack, both of which might well have sent tin to Penzance to be coined. Not only has the technology changed to meet the demands of lode mining but the capacity has increased hugely.  read more »

1838 | Tin smelting house at village called Angarrack or Vellarvrane... was decorated with finest garden in West of Cornwall

Phillack, in addition to the copper works at Hoyle, pos-  sesses also a tin smelting house at a village called indifferently Angarrack or Vellarvrane said to be first smelting house established by Becher and other Germans for smeltin

"Phillack, in addition to the copper works at Hoyle, pos-
sesses also a tin smelting house at a village called indiffer-
ently Angarrack or Vellarvrane. It is said to be the first
smelting house established by Becher and the other Ger-
mans for smelting tin ores in reverberatory furnaces by
means of coal. During the life of Mr. William Tremaine
the late managing partner, this place was decorated with the
finest garden in the West of Cornwall. "  read more »

1704 | Angarrack smelting-house established by Francis Moult & Co., with six of the new reverberatory furnaces

Angarrack smelting-house was almost as old as Treloweth, being established by Francis Moult & Co. in 1704, with six of the new reverbera- tory furnaces, as a companion works to the one at Newham, Truro. By 1743 it was owned by William Lemon and was for sale in 1783, with William Tremayne then described as the sole proprietor.

3 In 1804 the four principal partners there were Richard Cunnack, William Carne, the Bolithos and James Pascoe

1722 | William Tremayne, manager of tin smelting house at Angarrack married Elizabeth Michell

1722 William Tremayne, the manager of the tin smelting house at Angarrack married Elizabeth Michell,  daughter of The Revd Wil liam Michell Vicar of Kenwyn.

 

via http://www.constantinecornwall.com/wp-content/uploads/tremayne/23generat...

1705 | Mr Lyddell obtained patent for smelting tin in iron furnaces, and set up works at Angarrack

The tin-ore has always been smelted in the county. Sir Francis Godolphin introduced some improved methods of stamping and dressing tin from the continent; and Sir Beville Grenville made an attempt to smelt the tin with pitcoal; but it was not till the early part of the last century that the present mode of smelting was adopted. Mr. Lyddell obtained a patent in the year 1705 for smelting tin in iron furnaces, and set up works at Angarrack in the parish of Phillack.

 

[via http://www.british-history.ac.uk/magna-britannia/vol3/cxciv-ccxvi]

1704 | September 14th To drawing the leases of Angarrack, rent paid, building expenses


To drawing the leases of Angarrack Paid by Lydall £2. 1 0.0' and that the rent paid was £ 25 p. a. and that the expenditure connected with the building etc. at Angarrack in the first year was £ 406 0. 1 . This was the extent of the references by Capt. Henderson to the Angarrack House and it is unfortunate that the particular volume from which he quoted is not among those now at the County Record Office. DWHH 1780. County Record Office. Truro (CRO) DDE (Welman) 1862 CRO.7

   read more »