Christmas Lights

Village News

History

1838 | Tin smelting house at village called Angarrack or Vellarvrane... was decorated with finest garden in West of Cornwall

Phillack, in addition to the copper works at Hoyle, pos-  sesses also a tin smelting house at a village called indifferently Angarrack or Vellarvrane said to be first smelting house established by Becher and other Germans for smeltin

"Phillack, in addition to the copper works at Hoyle, pos-
sesses also a tin smelting house at a village called indiffer-
ently Angarrack or Vellarvrane. It is said to be the first
smelting house established by Becher and the other Ger-
mans for smelting tin ores in reverberatory furnaces by
means of coal. During the life of Mr. William Tremaine
the late managing partner, this place was decorated with the
finest garden in the West of Cornwall. "  read more »

1825 | Hayle Causeway opens

"A work most beneficial to the whole country was com- pleted at Hayle in the year 1825, under the authority of an  Act of Parliament. The passage across the main estuary  was frequently dangerous and always interrupted by the  tide ; several of the branches could not be passed at high  water, and lives were not unfrequently lost. A causeway
 read more »

1342 | Mellanvrane Mill at Angarrack is first recorded as "Melyn Bran"

Mellanvrane Mill at Angarrack is first recorded as "Melyn Bran" in 1342

 

Reference : MCO27820
Name : MELLANVRANE MILL - Medieval corn mill, Post Medieval corn mill
Monument type : CORN MILL; CORN MILL
Period : Medieval
Form : DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE; DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
Summary : Mellanvrane Mill at Angarrack is first recorded as "Melyn Bran" in 1342.
Link to further information : http://www.heritageg...
PrefRef : 31789
PeriodFrom : Medieval to 19th Century  read more »

1335 | The settlement of Angarrack is first recorded as "Garrek"

The settlement of Angarrack is first recorded as "Garrek" in 1335

Reference : MCO13276
Name : ANGARRACK - Medieval settlement
Monument type : SETTLEMENT
Period : Medieval
Form : DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
Summary : The settlement of Angarrack is first recorded as "Garrek" in 1335.
Link to further information : http://www.heritageg...
PrefRef : 31782
PeriodFrom : Medieval

Summary

The settlement of Angarrack is first recorded as "Garrek" in 1335.  read more »

1814 | Mr John Glasson of Copperhouse baptised in river at Cold Harbour near Angarrack becoming first Baptist in Hayle

In 1814 Mr John Glasson of Copperhouse was baptised in the river at Cold
Harbour near Angarrack by Rev G. C. 'Boatswain' Smith, widely known as
the soldier's and sailor's friend, and so became the first Baptist in
Hayle

2000 BC | Angarrack Barrow

HUNDRED OF PENWITH (EASTERN DIVISION)

7:PARISHOFPHILLACK (2,907 acs)

W.H. PASCOE

Barrows


5 Angarrack    
Grid Ref: SW 58803872

SMR SW 53 NE/38; Tumulus (site of), OS 6 inch 1963; 1628 'Three Stones' Hend. Top I 65; Hend. II 135


via https://cornisharchaeology.org.uk/journals/No.15_1976.pdf

   read more »

1705 | Mr Lyddell obtained patent for smelting tin in iron furnaces, and set up works at Angarrack

The tin-ore has always been smelted in the county. Sir Francis Godolphin introduced some improved methods of stamping and dressing tin from the continent; and Sir Beville Grenville made an attempt to smelt the tin with pitcoal; but it was not till the early part of the last century that the present mode of smelting was adopted. Mr. Lyddell obtained a patent in the year 1705 for smelting tin in iron furnaces, and set up works at Angarrack in the parish of Phillack.

 

[via http://www.british-history.ac.uk/magna-britannia/vol3/cxciv-ccxvi]

1704 | Angarrack smelting-house established by Francis Moult & Co., with six of the new reverberatory furnaces

Angarrack smelting-house was almost as old as Treloweth, being established by Francis Moult & Co. in 1704, with six of the new reverbera- tory furnaces, as a companion works to the one at Newham, Truro. By 1743 it was owned by William Lemon and was for sale in 1783, with William Tremayne then described as the sole proprietor.

3 In 1804 the four principal partners there were Richard Cunnack, William Carne, the Bolithos and James Pascoe

1704 | September 14th To drawing the leases of Angarrack, rent paid, building expenses


To drawing the leases of Angarrack Paid by Lydall £2. 1 0.0' and that the rent paid was £ 25 p. a. and that the expenditure connected with the building etc. at Angarrack in the first year was £ 406 0. 1 . This was the extent of the references by Capt. Henderson to the Angarrack House and it is unfortunate that the particular volume from which he quoted is not among those now at the County Record Office. DWHH 1780. County Record Office. Truro (CRO) DDE (Welman) 1862 CRO.7

   read more »

1722 | William Tremayne, manager of tin smelting house at Angarrack married Elizabeth Michell

1722 William Tremayne, the manager of the tin smelting house at Angarrack married Elizabeth Michell,  daughter of The Revd Wil liam Michell Vicar of Kenwyn.

 

via http://www.constantinecornwall.com/wp-content/uploads/tremayne/23generat...

Add to calendar
Syndicate content