Christmas Lights

Village News

Harveys of Hayle

John Harvey was a Cornishman whose career started as a blacksmith and engineer at Carnhell Green near Hayle, in west Cornwall. In 1779 he established a foundry and engineering works at Hayle called Harvey & Co.[1] By 1800 the company employed more than 50 people and continued to grow as Harvey worked with many of the great Cornish engineers and entrepreneurs of the day. These included Richard Trevithick, William West, and, more importantly, Arthur Woolf. In 1797, Harvey's daughter, Jane, married Richard Trevithick.

Harvey & Co. built up a reputation for world class stationary beam engines designed to pump water out of the deep Cornish tin and copper mines. The Cornish beam engine became world-famous and was exported overseas, and remains the largest type of beam engine ever constructed; the largest of all, with a 144-inch-diameter (3,700 mm) cylinder which powered eight separate beams, was used to drain the Haarlemmermeer in the Netherlands—it is preserved in the Museum De Cruquius.[2]

Harvey's also produced a range of products, from hand tools to ocean-going ships including the USS Cornubia. The company was expanded by John's son, Henry, in collaboration with Arthur Woolf, who was the chief engineer. At that time it was the main mining engine foundry in the world, with an international market served through their own port at Foundry Town, Hayle.

Harvey's of Hayle reached their peak in the early- to mid-19th century and then, along with the Cornish mining industry in general, suffered a gradual and slow decline. Harvey's acquired the Cornish Copper Company in 1875. The engineering works and foundry were closed in 1903, although the company continued to trade as a general and builders merchant, eventually merging with UBM to become Harvey-UBM in 1969.

via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_(ironfounder)

John Harvey

Book page

TitleCreated
180701 | Gwinear-Gwithian and Hayle East to replace Hayle South | Boundary Review Update | Local Government Boundary Commission 1 day 22 hours agoBook page
W1/09-0173 | Retention of dwelling & construction of additional dwelling Head No(s): 87336 | Adj To Railway Viaduct Riverside La 5 days 16 hours agoBook page
180320 | Approved Hayle South Quay plans include homes, restaurant and retail units and footbridge to town - Cornwall Live 2 weeks 1 day agoBook page
180323 | FCBS finally wins go-ahead for revised Cornish quay proposals | News | Architects Journal 2 weeks 1 day agoBook page
180613 | PA18/01645/PREAPP | Historic Building pre-application advice for proposed residential development of approximately 9 ap 2 weeks 1 day agoBook page
Approved with conditions | PA18/04517 | Construction of extension and entrance porch to existing dwelling - 13 13A Steamers Hill 2 weeks 1 day agoBook page
1895 | TO LET, with early possession, the "ANGARRACK INN" | Apply Ellis and Son, The Brewery 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page
1948 | Angarrack Puts Out Its Flags Angarrack was en fete on Saturday for the winding up of its gala festival 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page
1917 | FIRE AT ANGARRACK. SHOP BURNT OUT 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page
1934 | A PEACEFUL (ANGARRACK) VALLEY - opportunity of purchasing copies of an artist s proof edition 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page
1948 | Anganack Methodist Church was re-opened last week, after renovation 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page
1926 | The drab surroundings of much of the village life at this season of the year were relieved last Thursday by a tea and ent 2 weeks 3 days agoBook page

tags for Harveys of Hayle