Christmas Lights

Village News

Angarrack Inn - a brief History

Angarrack Inn, Angarrack

12 Steamers Hill, Angarrack, Hayle, TR27 5JB Cornwall

Telephone: 01736 752380

Web: www.angarrackinn.co.uk

A newly refurbished traditional inn, that dates from 1755. This was originally known as 'The Lamb'. It owes its establishment to the Angarrack tin smelting house, which once operated nearby. The pub has a warm and friendly atmosphere complete with log fire in the winter. Situated in a small village it is surrounded by picturesque views and close to Hayle's 3 miles of golden sands.

We look forward to welcoming you.

More information on the Angarrack Inn blog pages

A brief history

The present inn at Angarrack replaced an earlier one and drew much of its patronage from those attending the smelting works in the village as well as from travellers on the old coach road through it to the west. It became the Lamb and later the Angarrack Inn.

The original Angarrack Inn lay in the Carwin Estate and across the road from the present one. It owes its establishment to the Angarrack Smelting House which once operated nearby. The Inn was well placed to serve the traveller passing through the village on what was once the main highway from Camborne and beyond to Hayle and onwards across the sands of the estuary to St Ives and Penzance.

There is evidence that there was an inn at Angarrack by 1768, as in March of that year, a share in Wheal Reeth Mine was auctioned at the house (inn) of Mr Matthew Tremayne of Angarrack (our thanks go to Neil Harvey for pointing out John Higgan's brilliant history of Angarrack which provided this information) according to The Village of Angarrack Cornwall A pictorial view past and present by Dawn Guiver

The current building was built between 1793 and 1800 - the second in to be built in Angarrack. The first was on the other side of the road, along the lane past Carwin Villa. After many owneres and innkeepers, the Angarrack Inn was bought by Christopher Ellis & Sons, brewers of Hayle in 1900. They in turn were bought by the St Austell Brewery Company in 1933. Daphne Hocking was landlady of the Inn for 20 years, during which time she was responsible for raising £30,000 for the buying and training of 30 guide dogs for the blind.

According to Chris Knight, Curator & PR Co-Ordinator, St Austell Brewery 2014:

Purchased by St Austell Brewery in 1935 £1200 from C Ellis & Son

Built on the site of an earlier inn called The Lamb. In 1783 the Mellenoweth Estate, including the land, was sold by Henry Lord Arundell to William Tremayne; it is not known if the Inn was there then. On 4.5.1882 the Cornishman reported that the annual meeting of the Angarrack Pig Club was held in the Inn. The object of the club was to form an insurance fund from which member subscriptions could be used to compensate someone who lost all their stock.

 

Year(s) Innkeepers at Angarrack Inn and The Lamb
11 July 2014 to date Billy
31 Mar 2011 to January 2014 Steve & Julie Horne
2009 to Mar 2011 Alan Connor & Samantha Taylor
9 Oct 2008-2009 Dawn & Kevin (Ms Dawn Karen Ann Martin & Kevin George Whitebread)
2004 - 2009 Dave & Jackie Peake
23 Sep 2003

Simon Christian Bellamy & Alison Peggy Bellamy

2003 Richard & Jane?
25 Oct 2000-2004 Pat and Neville Allen (Mr Neville Robert Allen & Patricia Elizabeth Rowlard)
5 Jan 2000 Mr John & Lynda Watkins
13 Jan 1999 Mr Philip Edeard & Jane Moore
9 Sep 1992 Mrs M D Hocking (Daphne)
27 Oct 1978 Mr Pat Hocking (Son of below)
1977 Mr & Mrs Phil Hocking were landlords during the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations [thanks to The Village of Angarrack Cornwall A pictorial view past and present by Dawn Guiver] Daphne Hocking was landlady for 20 years
<14 Jan 1965 Mr T H Hocking (then Wife - Tom and Phyllis) Probably started c.1961
December 1959

Mr J B Barber

c1956 Mr L D Pratt (Tony Pratt's father) ran the Angarrack Inn
8 July 1953

Mr Douglas Allison (Ethel taken ill, Douglas lived opposite and took over. Gained license in October after her death in August)

1 Mar 1939

Mrs Ethel Rae (wife of William)

c1930 - Feb 1939

William Rae

1935 Purchased by St Austell Brewery Company for £1200 from Christopher Ellis & Son, brewers of Hayle
c1914 William Howard
1911 Edward Bawden listed as Innkeeper at Angarrack 1911 census
c1901 Edward Bawden listed as Innkeeper at Angarrack
1900 Purchased by Christopher Ellis & Sons, brewers of Hayle
c1900

Mrs Ellen Walters?

1891 Arthur Sampson
The Royal Cornwall Gazette Falmouth Packet, Cornish Weekly News, & General Advertiser (Truro, England), Thursday, December 24, 1891; pg. 4; Issue 4613

The following transfers of licenses were made: - That of the Angarrack Inn, Phillack, from M. Whitford to Arthur Sampson

  M. Whitford
4.5.1882 The Cornishman reported that the annual meeting of the Angarrack Pig Club was held in the Inn. The object of the club was to form an insurance fund from which member subscriptions could be used to compensate someone who lost all their stock.
c1881 Edward Mitchell listed as Innkeeper at Angarrack Village
1878-81 Edward MITCHELL, b. Helston 1822 Angarrack 1878-81, - Commercial 1882-97.
c1871 John THOMAS, b. Helston 1822 listed as innkeeper at Angarrack. Probably took over earlier around 1865 as daughter Elizabeth is listed as born at Phillack in that year
c1861 William Moore listed as Innkeeper at Angarrack
c1851 Alford Polckinhorne listed as licensed victualler in Angarrack
~1845 William BREE of Kirtonwood, Crowan
1845 Joseph Hockin (Occupier), Francis Harvey (Owner) (Tithe reports)
1841 Joseph Hockin (Innkeeper on census)
1838 - 40s Joseph HOCKING, b. Camborne 1797 -Angarrack
1833 Mathew Tremayne dies still owning the Inn. He left it equally to his children; the occupier was William Tremayne
c1808 John Stevens (Innkeeper) An advert in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 17.12.1808 reads 'Sale of Mellenoweth Mine Share on 20.12.1808 at the house of John Stephens at Angarrack in the parish of Phillack Innkeeper.
c1806 Mathew Tremayne (nephew of William; mentioned in his will)
1783 Mellenoweth Estate, including the land, was sold by Henry Lord Arundell to William Tremayne; it is not known if the Inn was there then
1801 Innkeeper: Mathew TREMAYNE, b. Hayle 1724 d. 1801 -Angarrack 1768.
His son Mathew b. Hayle 1753 d. 1837 took over from his father and continued for many years.
1768
 

Please Note: We're trying to complete the list of inkeepers at the Angarrack to the present day - if you have any information please don't hesitate to either register an account with us or contact us. We'd also be grateful for any historic pictures.

Book page

TitleCreated
171009 | Officers Report| PA17/06782 | Erection of a new dwelling and detached garage. | Land NW Of 5 Grist Lane Angar 1 week 2 days agoBook page
171009 | Approved with conditions | PA17/06782 | Erection of a new dwelling and detached garage. | Land NW Of 5 Grist Lane Angar 1 week 2 days agoBook page
171002 | PA17/08038 | Outline planning permission with some matters reserved: Three bedroomed dormer bungalow plus turning space 2 weeks 1 day agoBook page
170909 | Well, on the plus side, it's more attractive than the current view ... | Stephen Cornish - Hayle Development Discussion 5 weeks 1 day agoBook page
1709 | 9,000 sq ft of newly built retail accommodation adjacent to a proposed Asda petrol filling station | Foundry Yard 5 weeks 6 days agoBook page
1709 | Highway Plans 6 weeks 2 days agoBook page
1709 | Marsh Lane realignment 6 weeks 3 days agoBook page
170904 | St Erth Park and Ride scheme and air quality on the agenda at the Hayle and St Ives Community Network Panel meeting 6 weeks 6 days agoBook page
170818 | Hayle harbour tonight. Water going out.. I hope it's not what I expect it is in front of those tankers... especially as 8 weeks 4 days agoBook page
170821 | Hayle Harbour | Pirate FM - News - WATCH: Reports of sewage in Cornwall sea 8 weeks 4 days agoBook page
170719 | PA17/06782 | Erection of a new dwelling and detached garage. - Land NW Of 5 Grist Lane Angarrack Cornwall 9 weeks 1 day agoBook page
170807 | St Erth roundabout A30 section to be restricted to 30mph limit for eight months | Cornwall Live 9 weeks 6 days agoBook page

From Eatout Cornwall Angarrack Inn

tags for Angarrack Inn - a brief History