Christmas Lights

Village News

000701 | Hayle Mills - With medieval origins, milling was one of the major industries in Hayle from the early 19th century. It d

Via BP1 - Hayle Blue Plaques https://sites.google.com/site/chymor/bp1

 

With medieval origins, milling was one of the major industries in Hayle from the early 19th century. It developed at first as a sideline, with the big industrial concerns needing to supply their own horses and men with feed. It expanded into a major commercial concern, with flour production and export, baking and retailing all becoming more important throughout the 19th century and well into the mid 20th century. Large grist mills were part of Harvey’s business from the 1780s; sited by the Millpond, they were extended 1878-9; milling ceased in the 1890s, when a mint humbug factory took over part of the building.

In 1842, the Cornish Copper Company built the tidal mill (Paddy’s Mill) at Copperhouse, which continued in use until 1930, then being run by Hosken, Trevithick and Polkinghorne, who traded as HTP. This was the successor firm (from 1890) to J H Trevithick, formerly part of the Harvey’s group, and William Hosken and Sons of Loggans’ Mill. Loggans Mill was their main base in Hayle. First recorded in 1688, it was rebuilt along modern lines following a fire in 1852, and again reorganised in 1884. HTP had other premises around Hayle, and in 1913 owned a large farm, 50 horses, 3 traction engines, lorries and steamers, were still bringing wheat to Copperhouse wharf for the mills, and were also the largest wholesale grocers west of Bristol. HTP removed all their operations from Hayle in about 1930.

Hayle Historic Assessment, Cahill N, July 2000

Hayle - Foundry Grist Mill - This was one of three town mills operated by John Harvey Trevithick. It was partially demolished in 1941. Opposite the mill site is Tremeadow Terrace, formerly Mill Row. [Scheduled Ancient Monument] HAYLE TOWNSCAPE

Book page

TitleCreated
PA18/05585 | Application for Refurbishment and conversion of Loggans Mill building into 16 apartments, including internal and ex 50 min 15 sec agoBook page
1939 | Fire lit at Angarrack | May Day Celebrating at Hayle 1 hour 16 min agoBook page
1933 | LICENSED PREMISES TO LET. TIHE ANGARRACK INN. near Hayle. Rent and ingoing moderate. Suit a pensioner. Apply The Brewery, 1 hour 28 min agoBook page
1934 | Villagers' Initiative Spirit Of Self-Help at Angarrack Old Mill converted into Institute 2 hours 17 min agoBook page
1934 | Whist | It is interesting to note that this is the first time in history that whist drive has been held in Angarrack 2 hours 20 min agoBook page
1841 | Having been offered for sale at Angarrack Smelting House the Goth of a refiner put it at once into a ladle and melted 4 days 23 hours agoBook page
1894 September 6 | Two Men Killed At Hayle Dynamite Works 5 days 3 hours agoBook page
180705 | 47 CONSULTATION – TO CONSIDER AND COMMENT UPON THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOUNDARY COMMISSION’S ELECTORAL REVIEW OF CORNWALL: 1 week 5 days agoBook page
180801 | Hayle Mayor Slams Boundary Changes | Hayle Town Council 1 week 6 days agoBook page
1880 | There is a report current that the smelting-works at Angarrack will shortly cease operations, but all hope that it is a r 2 weeks 16 hours agoBook page
1930 | A bazaar was held at Angarrack, Hayle, on Monday, in aid of the Wesleyan chapel renovation scheme 2 weeks 16 hours agoBook page
1791 | About one mile East of the copper-works is the village of Angarrack | The Universal British Directory, Camborne 2 weeks 16 hours agoBook page

tags for 000701 | Hayle Mills - With medieval origins, milling was one of the major industries in Hayle from the early 19th century. It d