Christmas Lights

Village News

1852-53 | Angarrack station opened - and closed

Angarrack had a station - very briefly!

via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disused_railway_stations_(Cornish_Main_Line)#Angarrack

The Hayle Railway introduced passenger trains on 23 May 1843. The service was closed on 16 February 1852. On 11 March 1852 the West Cornwall Railway opened a new station. The old station had been on the section of the Hayle Railway that was closed entirely as a steep rope-worked incline descended from Angarrack to sea level at Copperhouse, it was replaced by a much gentler incline to the new Hayle railway station. However the new Angarrack station was closed in 1853.


via http://www.hayletowncouncil.net/documents/RailwayBookCompletewithMaps-ready.pdf.
Angarrack had its own station on the new main line, but it was very short-
lived. It was closed in 1853, within a few months of its opening. It stood
on the North Side of the track at Milestone 318, but nothing of it remains
today to indicate its exact location

via http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MCO279...
HER Number:31984
Name:ANGARRACK - Post Medieval railway

Summary

The site of Angarrack railway station on the West Cornwall railway was opened and closed in 1853.

Grid Reference:SW 5815 3804
Parish:Hayle, Penwith, Cornwall
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Protected Status: None recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Primary Record No. (1985-2009): 31984
  • SMR No. (OS Quarter-sheet and SMR No.): SW53NE 27-31.4

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Angarrack railway station on the West Cornwall railway was opened and closed in 1853 (b1). There are no extant remains (b2).


<1> Clinker, CR, 1963, The Railways of Cornwall 1809-1963 (Bibliographic reference)


<2> Pascoe, WH, 1976, Phillack Checklist (CA15, 1976) (Article in serial)

Sources / Further Reading

[1]SCO3082 - Bibliographic reference: Clinker, CR. 1963. The Railways of Cornwall 1809-1963. 20.
[2]SCO4084 - Article in serial: Pascoe, WH. 1976. Phillack Checklist (CA15, 1976). CA No 15. VOL 15, 101.

tags for 1852-53 | Angarrack station opened - and closed