Christmas Lights

Village News

1837 | Angarrack incline - The Hayle Railway

The Hayle Railway evolved over time

via http://www.yor-tec.co.uk/cornwall/railway.htm

The Hayle Railway. Originally ran eastwards to Redruth, and from Redruth Junction north to Portreath and south to Tresavean, again built to profit from the mining industry's need to transport ore for shipping. It opened in stages after December 1837. Steam locomotion was used from the start, giving the route an early advantage over the Redruth and Chacewater line. Cornubia, one of the locomotives later taken over by the West Cornwall Railway in 1846, was built at Copperhouse Foundry in 1838, probably the first engine to be made in Cornwall. Notable features of the line were the steep inclines at Angarrack and Portreath, where wagons were hauled by ropes. Inclines at Penponds and Tresavean worked on a counterbalancing principle. Passengers has sometimes travelled in the open wagons, but the first passenger service between Hayle and Redruth took place on 12th May 1843.

via http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hayle_Railway

Hayle Railway

Aug 1935. Great Western Railway GWR Centenary

Hayle Railway linked the Camborne and Redruth mining district to the port of Hayle

1834 Opened 1834.

1837 The Portreath branch was constructed, intended to capture the trade of the rich mines in the district north of Carn Brea.

1839 Closed?

 

Sketch map showing original alignment of Hayle Railway of 1838 and modifications made by West Cornwall Railway in 1852

Book page

TitleCreated
1841 | Having been offered for sale at Angarrack Smelting House the Goth of a refiner put it at once into a ladle and melted 4 days 1 hour agoBook page
1894 September 6 | Two Men Killed At Hayle Dynamite Works 4 days 5 hours agoBook page
180705 | 47 CONSULTATION – TO CONSIDER AND COMMENT UPON THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOUNDARY COMMISSION’S ELECTORAL REVIEW OF CORNWALL: 1 week 5 days agoBook page
180801 | Hayle Mayor Slams Boundary Changes | Hayle Town Council 1 week 5 days agoBook page
1791 | About one mile East of the copper-works is the village of Angarrack | The Universal British Directory, Camborne 1 week 6 days agoBook page
1817 | Angarrack ... where there is a tin smelting house | The gazetteer of the county of Cornwall 1 week 6 days agoBook page
180701 | Gwinear-Gwithian and Hayle East to replace Hayle South | Boundary Review Update | Local Government Boundary Commission 4 weeks 1 day agoBook page
W1/09-0173 | Retention of dwelling & construction of additional dwelling Head No(s): 87336 | Adj To Railway Viaduct Riverside La 4 weeks 5 days agoBook page
180320 | Approved Hayle South Quay plans include homes, restaurant and retail units and footbridge to town - Cornwall Live 6 weeks 1 day agoBook page
180323 | FCBS finally wins go-ahead for revised Cornish quay proposals | News | Architects Journal 6 weeks 1 day agoBook page
180613 | PA18/01645/PREAPP | Historic Building pre-application advice for proposed residential development of approximately 9 ap 6 weeks 1 day agoBook page
Approved with conditions | PA18/04517 | Construction of extension and entrance porch to existing dwelling - 13 13A Steamers Hill 6 weeks 1 day agoBook page

tags for 1837 | Angarrack incline - The Hayle Railway