Christmas Lights

Village News

Isis Gardens and Hayle's Lifeboat Isis

Hayle had its own lifeboat from 1866 until 1906.

Its first boat was the ‘Isis’.  A self-righter, thirty-two feet in length, pulling ten oars, paid for by Oxford University.
She carried out ten rescues saving fifty lives during her twenty-one years of service.

In 1887 ‘The New Oriental Bank’ later renamed ‘The F. H. Harrison’ replaced ‘Isis’. She was a thirty-two feet self-righter and her saddest service was to the ‘S.S. Escurial’, when she had to be taken overland to Portreath beach to be launched.
In spite of her best efforts only seven of the eighteen crew were rescued alive.

Hayle’s last lifeboat was ‘The Admiral Rodd’, a thirty-six feet self-righter which carried out only three rescues before the Hayle station was closed in 1907.

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution stationed a lifeboat at Hayle in 1866. A boathouse was built for it in 1897, but after it was closed in 1920, it was moved to a site near the power station where it was used as a store for about 60 years before being demolished. The first lifeboat was replaced in November 1887; the third and final boat, the Admiral Rodd arrived in 1906. 

Hayle’s first lifeboat is commemorated by the memorial in Isis Gardens, opened in 1995 under the viaduct at Foundry Square on the site of the town’s first railway station.

The funding provided, as stated here, the boat was first set out on the river at Oxford by the rowing eight;
it was then taken by Great Western and the other Rail companies, free of charge, to Hayle and paraded with great ceremony;
a boathouse was built on North Quay, in the little CCC quarry.

Isis was 32 x 7.5 x 3.5 feet; 10 oars, built 1866 by Forrestt of Limehouse.

Besides the lives saved as listed, she saved the ships

  • Nicholas Harvey in 1866
  • Lizzie in 1869
  • Vigilant in 1869
  • Bonne Adele in 1880
  • Constance 1881
  • SS Drumhendry 1882
  • Star of St Agnes 1882
  • Glynn 1885
  • Albert Wilhelm 1886
Hayle's first lifeboat - Isis

Book page

TitleCreated
1934 | Villagers' Initiative Spirit Of Self-Help at Angarrack Old Mill converted into Institute 11 min 30 sec agoBook page
1934 | Whist | It is interesting to note that this is the first time in history that whist drive has been held in Angarrack 14 min 29 sec agoBook page
1841 | Having been offered for sale at Angarrack Smelting House the Goth of a refiner put it at once into a ladle and melted 4 days 21 hours agoBook page
1894 September 6 | Two Men Killed At Hayle Dynamite Works 5 days 1 hour agoBook page
180705 | 47 CONSULTATION – TO CONSIDER AND COMMENT UPON THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOUNDARY COMMISSION’S ELECTORAL REVIEW OF CORNWALL: 1 week 5 days agoBook page
180801 | Hayle Mayor Slams Boundary Changes | Hayle Town Council 1 week 5 days agoBook page
1791 | About one mile East of the copper-works is the village of Angarrack | The Universal British Directory, Camborne 2 weeks 14 hours agoBook page
1817 | Angarrack ... where there is a tin smelting house | The gazetteer of the county of Cornwall 2 weeks 14 hours agoBook page
180701 | Gwinear-Gwithian and Hayle East to replace Hayle South | Boundary Review Update | Local Government Boundary Commission 4 weeks 2 days agoBook page
W1/09-0173 | Retention of dwelling & construction of additional dwelling Head No(s): 87336 | Adj To Railway Viaduct Riverside La 4 weeks 5 days agoBook page
180320 | Approved Hayle South Quay plans include homes, restaurant and retail units and footbridge to town - Cornwall Live 6 weeks 2 days agoBook page
180323 | FCBS finally wins go-ahead for revised Cornish quay proposals | News | Architects Journal 6 weeks 2 days agoBook page

tags for Isis Gardens and Hayle's Lifeboat Isis