Village News

Christmas Lights

210112 | Royal Navy blow up World War II mortar bomb found on beach in Cornwall; cordon set up overnight after device discovered

Royal Navy blow up World War Two mortar bomb found on beach in Cornwall

A cordon was set up overnight after the device was discovered

A bomb dating back to the Second World War which was found on a Cornish beach has been detonated safely.

Members of the Royal Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) attended Hayle beach at around 8.30am today (January 12) to carry out the operation on the spigot mortar round, which had been found the previous day.

Officers had inspected the device yesterday, but due to the failing light, it was decided to detonate it this morning.

The mortar bomb - originally used during the Second World War by the Home Guard as an infantry anti-tank weapon in case of a invasion by German forces - was blown up at around 10.45am.

A Navy spokesperson said: "The Royal Navy Southern Diving Unit 1 (SDU 1) have safely detonated a device that was found on Hayle beach.

"After being called out by the Devon and Cornwall (D&C) Police on the afternoon of Monday, January 11, the Team from Devonport examined the device and it was found to be a WWII Spigot Mortar Bomb.

"Because of failing light It was decided to leave the device on the beach overnight, guarded by the D&C Police who had set up a cordon.

"This morning SDU1 returned and conducted a controlled explosion on the device in situ.

Police to guard unexploded mortar bomb on Hayle beach through the night

A Royal Navy bomb disposal team has examined the Second World War device and will return at first light to detonate it

Police are tonight guarding a Second World War bomb found on a Cornish beach which will be blown up tomorrow.

A spokesperson for the Royal Navy has confirmed that the object discovered this afternoon on the beach at Hayle, close to the Sandy Acres campsite, is a spigot mortar round. This kind of round was originally an infantry anti-tank weapon used by the Home Guard in case of a German invasion.

The spokesperson said the explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team from HMNB Devonport in Plymouth attended this afternoon and confirmed the type of ordnance, saying it was considered "quite big".

However, with failing light, it was decided it was best to leave the bomb on the beach until first light. The spokesperson told CornwallLive the area has been cordoned off by police and a scene guard put in place.

They added: "Police have secured it for the night to ensure it's safe. EOD will return tomorrow morning, probably at around 8.30am, and make preparations to set charges and detonate it.

"The team has confirmed that it is quite large."

Coastguard have confirmed they have also been at the scene to assist police and confirmed that it was considered a "big device" according to reports. Portreath Coastguard Rescue Team volunteers were called to the scene at 3.15pm to assist the police with the operation.

One witness took to social media to announce: "Just walked across Sandy Acres SSI - behind Pentowan Road/Gardens. Met Coastguards turning walkers away from the area and beach. One said this was a big device."


The scene where Devon and Cornwall Police Officers are preventing access to the beach

The scene where Devon and Cornwall Police Officers are preventing access to the beach (Image: Sam Beamish/Cornwall Live)

"The Team leader of SDU1 would like to thank the D&C Police for maintaining the cordon overnight and their vigilance on alerting the Bomb Disposal Unit.

"They would also like to thank the Coastguard with their help and assistance on the beach."

Pictures from the scene show a large emergency service presence with police cars and ambulances there.




Royal Navy EOD claim device found on Hayle beach is a World War Two Spigot Mortar round (Image: Portreath HM Coastguard team)
 The scene where Devon and Cornwall Police Officers are preventing access to the beach (Image: Sam Beamish/Cornwall Live)